This tutorial is designed to show you how to copy music from your iPhone, iPad or iPod to a directory on your computer or to an external storage device. Whether your looking to make copies of your music for cloud storage or simply backup all the files in a particular directory, iExplorer has you covered! You can either use our convenient drag-and-drop interface or export songs with the touch of a button.
What you will need
- An iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- A Mac or PC with iTunes installed
- USB cable to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
Before you begin
If you don't already have iExplorer installed download it by clicking the button below. For more detailed installation instructions, click here.
Follow these steps to transfer music from an iPhone or iPad to your computer:
- Connect your iPhone, iPod or iPad & open iExplorer.
- Click the Music button on the Device Overview screen (or Media Library in the left panel).
- Once your media loads, choose from the following:
- AUTO TRANSFER - Click the Auto Transfer Button > Auto-Recover All Items to iTunes > Start Auto Transfer.
- SELECTED PLAYLISTS - Select a playlist in the left panel underneath Media Library and use the Transfer from Device menu.
- DRAG & DROP - Select any tracks in the main window (hold Control (PC) or Command (Mac) to select more than one) and then simply drag & drop them to your computer.
To begin transfering or rebuilding an iTunes playlist, first open iExplorer on your Mac or PC. Then, go ahead and connect your device with its USB cable to your computer. Once the device is connected, iTunes may prompt you to sync your device - click "No" or "Cancel." Until all of your music have been transferred back to into iTunes we recommend that you avoid syncing the device to iTunes as, in some cases, doing this may result in the permanent loss of data from your device.
After your device is connected, iExplorer will display its Device Overview screen. You can return to this home screen at any time by clicking on your device's name in the navigation panel on the left. To get started transferring music, click Music in the middle panel. You can also access your music by clicking Media Library through the sidebar on the left.
Select a playlist by clicking and highlighting it in the left-hand sidebar. When you have selected a playlist, click on the Transfer from Device button. Next, from the Transfer pop-up, select Export Selected Playlist to iTunes.
Once your transfer is complete, go ahead and take a look in iTunes and you should see the playlist completely rebuilt and just as good as new!
Have questions that aren't addressed here? Please visit our Support Center for iExplorer FAQs.
Feel free to contact us if your problem persists.